Wednesday, May 10, 2006

What Do You Do In Your Car?


I must admit, I like to people watch while sitting in traffic. Most of the time I only see people talking on their cell phones, but occasionally I get a laugh out of people entertaining themselves completely unaware that I'm watching them. However, I've been caught a few times singing and playing air drum in the car. So much so that I've had people roll down their windows and ask me what song I'm listening to. I've even had a family in a van stare at me - I mean the stare like with their eyes popping out of their head. So, I continued my show with extra pizzazz to give them something to talk about and bond over. The other day I was looking in my rear view mirror at an attractive guy around my age (in a really nice sports car I might add). I noticed a blue plastic round thing sticking out of his mouth that he kept on licking. For the life of me I couldn't figure out what he was doing, but then I realized it was one of those ring suckers. I haven't seen those in years, much less from a guy my age. But that doesn't beat the time that I saw a guy using a cotton swab to clean out his nose... Or the time I saw a couple making out in the bed of a truck laying on a mattress... Or the time I was driving down I10 (going 70 mind you) and a guy asked me for my phone number. I would of been somewhat flattered if I wasn't dressed for a costume party. I had heavy make-up and ratted hair. My friend jokes that he thought I was a prostitute (if you were wondering, no, I didn't give him my number)... But so far I think this is the winner - Some one told me they saw girl talking on her cell phone with her foot on the dashboard painting her toenails while somehow driving. Anyway, I would love to hear about what you've seen people do while driving in traffic.

9 comments:

kelly said...

Melanie, you don't have to be sitting in the car to get food all over you. Remember the "bath" (with food) you took at lunch today? You make me laugh ;).

Jeanine said...

I was hit on by a group of high school guys. They wrote a note asking for my phone number and plastered it against their window. No, I didn't give it to them. But yeah, people are funny. I have to admit to brushing my teeth in the car. I always have a toothbrush and toothpaste with me, and sometimes brushing is just necessary. I do love it when I see people laughing in their car. Like when they are all alone and just laughing hysterically...it makes me laugh and just feel all warm inside because I do the same thing.

Laurie said...

I saw a guy reading the newspaper while driving down I-10.
Of course, there are always the requisite guys who flirt and make suggestive remarks/gestures. Do they think that works on anyone?

kelly said...

I had some one ask me to dinner driving down I10 (what is it with that road?). He told me he had a girlfriend but he didn't care. Like that was supposed to work! Really, what ARE they thinking? I wonder if some girls take guys up on the "can I have your number?", "wanna go to a party/out to eat/wherever?" I guess some do, but not me. There's some creepy guys out there!

Erin said...

The girl painting her toenails... was it Laura Bell? Her multi-tasking abilities while driving amaze (and frighten) me.

Jeanine... where do you rinse when you brush your teeth in the car? I'm having trouble with that one....

Bonnie said...

I have a friend that actually dated two different guys that she met while driving down 45!! Crazy!!
As for myself, you can find me driving, talking on the phone, eating, writing in my journal or reading...and usually at least three of those things at the same time...and they say women can't drive... =o0

Jeanine said...

Wow...my secret is being exposed. Yeah, I usually have a cup and a bottle of water in my car, but I have done it when I didn't have any water. I just had to spit the excess out my window. Desperate times call for desperate measures.

Troy said...

I groove when I'm driving. A while back, I was stuck in traffic on Hwy 290, so I began practicing an early version of "The Troy." The trucker next to me saw me and had a good laugh. I waved and kept on groovin'. "The Troy" makes even the worst traffic jams enjoyable.

Yesterday, I had to fix a slight "wardrobe malfunction" while driving. So, I guess I'll also have to include changing clothes to the list of things that I have done in the car.

kelly said...

I so need to see "The Troy"!!!