Thursday, May 11, 2006

Mullet Heads

Most people are glad the mullet craze is over, but some are still trying to sport the "business in the front/party in the back" look. There are countless websites designated to "mullet sightings". I would link you to some, but since this is a G-rated blog, I don't want to subject you to the horror of it all.

I was talking to some one that will remain anonymous for obvious reasons about her mullet in seventh grade. Yes, ladies and gentlemen, she had a femullet (aka female mullet). I found the perfect t-shirt for her (see picture above). I dedicate this post to you, my anonymous femullet friend. And for your reading pleasure I will sum up the history of the mullet :

The term mullet was first coined in the 1967 film "Cool Hand Luke" staring Paul Newman and George Kennedy. Kennedy's character referred to Southern men with long hair as "mullet heads".
So raise your head high - you were brave enough to admit you had a femullet. (Well, you actually didn't admit it; I saw a picture, but that's besides the point.) I'm sure you were cool back in the day ;).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had a femullet in the 80s.

kelly said...

Karie, that's funny. You know, I've been seeing a lot more mullets since I wrote this post. In fact, at the art car parade I saw a couple of rat-tail hybrid mullets - you know the kind where it's short all over but there's a long ponytail/braid coming out of nowhere. Yes, sad but true, mullets and various hybrids are still in existence.