For lunch my dad and I had some of those low fat microwave dinners. We started talking about how they really don’t taste like real meat, so my dad looked at the ingredients in his Salisbury Steak. What was in it?
“cooked Salisbury steak patty with caramel color added (beef, water, onions, textured vegetable protein product [soy protein concentrate, caramel color], seasonings [corn maltodextrin, salt, hydrolyzed soy and corn protein, dry onion, dry garlic, natural flavor, yeast extract, spice, disodium inosinate, disodium guanylate, extractive of rosemary, beef extract, modified cornstarch, flavor (triacetin, butter acids, flavorings, butter esters), rendered beef fat, partially hydrogenated soybean and cottonseed oil], soy protein, etc…”
There’s more, but I’m tired of trying to read the tiny print. How crazy is that?! No wonder those things don’t taste like real food – they aren’t! I thought we were eating healthy. From now on I don’t think I should read what’s inside because I totally lost my appetite. Ignorance is bliss sometimes… On a side note, I really need a neck rub.
“cooked Salisbury steak patty with caramel color added (beef, water, onions, textured vegetable protein product [soy protein concentrate, caramel color], seasonings [corn maltodextrin, salt, hydrolyzed soy and corn protein, dry onion, dry garlic, natural flavor, yeast extract, spice, disodium inosinate, disodium guanylate, extractive of rosemary, beef extract, modified cornstarch, flavor (triacetin, butter acids, flavorings, butter esters), rendered beef fat, partially hydrogenated soybean and cottonseed oil], soy protein, etc…”
There’s more, but I’m tired of trying to read the tiny print. How crazy is that?! No wonder those things don’t taste like real food – they aren’t! I thought we were eating healthy. From now on I don’t think I should read what’s inside because I totally lost my appetite. Ignorance is bliss sometimes… On a side note, I really need a neck rub.

5 comments:
I hear that! I was hungry today, but absolutely nothing sounded good. (Since I can't breathe right now, I kinda can't taste either, you know?) I settled on some kind of meat ball with pasta thingamajig. It was okay...but I couldn't really taste it.
Textured vegetable protein product. Yum!
rendered beef fat sounds better than tvpp...
People were not meant to eat out of little plastic trays they pulled out of some little green cardboard box, and thrown into a larger white or black box with a window that hums for between 3 minutes and 3 minutes 30 seconds.
It's just not kosher.
where's the latest blog entry?
Post a Comment