Wednesday, June 28, 2006

What Happened

I received an inquiry as to what happened to the “Candy Store Theory” post. I deleted it. I didn’t realize when I wrote it that people would get offended and possibly get their feelings hurt. I meant it as a joke, and I’m sorry for anyone that didn’t see it that way. I could tell by some of the comments that it hit a sour note and I didn’t want to wage war from the opposing views readers had. After the last comment Tuesday morning, I decided to end it before it got ugly. I hope there's no hard feelings.

1 comments:

Troy said...

It is a shame that we cannot have an open discussion on dating without people getting upset or hurt feelings. I enjoyed reading your candy store theory. While this theory is not true for every case, I thought it was a legitimate theory. (A theory is, after all, an attempt to explain things that we perceive.) I will be honest and say that it challenged me to examine a portion of my dating philosophy. This is a good thing. We must be knowlegeable enough in what we believe to be able to discuss and defend it.

We struggle because everyone brings their own ideas, perspectives, and baggage to the discussion. We have deep-seeded thoughts and dreams about whom our future mate will be and how we want to meet the person. Since dating is a cultural phenomenon, there are no specific Biblical models for us to apply. (I would like to find a wife the way Isaac did, but my dad doesn't have any servants or camels.) As a result, we each have developed our philosophy for dating through a strange mixture of influences: family, friends, pop culture, and Scripture. No two people will have the same philosophy or perspective.

We need to remember that we are all just human, and have flawed understanding. We must extend grace to those that we perceive to have incorrect views. We can (and should) debate and discuss, with great fervor even, but we must do so with the love of Christ.