Wednesday, September 20, 2006

#1, #2 and #8 The River


As per my sister's request, I'll continue with my stories about Panama starting with what happened to the river. Do you see one in this picture? Me either. We were boating about when all of a sudden large plants (I don't know what they were) took over the river. The bottom of the river was over ten feet deep, and these plant things were as far as the eye could see. Our boat motor kept getting caught, so it took forever to get through! And there were lots of yucky bugs flying around. I guess that's part of being in the jungle. I felt adventurous. I admit I got a little nervous when the boat motor went out on the boat that was carrying our luggage. We had to tow the boat behind us. You can barely see the boat behind ours.

So that's the first story. The second one is bathing. We didn't have fresh water to bathe with so we went to the river every day to wash up. The water was so cold I got chill bumps, but it felt good after a hot day. There were little fish biting us, so every once in a while we'd get a surprise!

Third story: Angry River. We ran out of gravel and sand for the concret mix, so we asked the chiefs if we could pay the members of the village to get it from the river. The chiefs told us that last time they got gravel from the river, the river got angry and made the people in the village sick. They really believe this. I am so humbled that God uses ordinary people like us to share the Gospel with unbelievers. One of the chiefs told us he was a Christian (he accepted Christ last year when we went to Tabardi for a day), but as you can see he's having a hard time leaving behind his past beliefs. Please pray for him and the other new believers.

0 comments: