I did something I've never done before - Sunday, on the way home from church, I ran over a bird. I was talking on the phone with Alison and I noticed a bird in the middle of the road. It looked hurt, but some one was beside me, so I couldn't get over. I thought I would straddle it instead, but I guess it moved a little. I felt it's little head crack under my wheel, and as I looked in the rear view mirror feathers flew up in the air. I started sobbing immediately. I don't know why - it's just a bird, but I still took a life out of this world! I was crying so hard Alison couldn't understand what I was saying. Finally I got out that I ran over a bird. She tried to make me feel better by saying it was probably just an annoying mockingbird, but I think it was a pigeon. I'm feeling a little better about the whole thing, but I still tear up when I think about the feathers and the crack of the skull. I don't think I could ever be a hunter.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
It's OK Kelly! I ran over a chipmunk once in college! Traumatic, I know. Now when ever I drive by, I still think of that little chipmunk! Probably because I didn't hit it square on and kill it. I nicked its back legs and crippled him. When I looked in the rear view, he was crawling on his front legs to the curb. He probably died later on. So, at least feel better knowing that you didn't make the bird suffer!
Stephanie, that's tragic! Poor little chipmunk; I can just picture it doing the army crawl to get to safety. We'll just say some one found it and nursed it back to health.
Post a Comment