Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Boquete Coffee

Thursday, when we got back from the islands, we drove to Boquete in Panama. While we were there we went to a coffee factory. Boquete is one of the biggest producers of coffee in the world. It smelt so good in that place; I so wished I liked coffee! Anyway, I found out lots of good advice and things to look for when buying coffee. I forget most of it, but I did find out that the little circle with a hole in it on the bag isn't there to smell the coffee (although you can smell it through there). It's to press when you close the bag to get the air out, so it stays fresher longer. I also found out that some cheap coffee (like Folgers) grinds up corn with the beans. But the most disgusting thing they told us was about Costa Rica's coffee. They use dried cow's blood to make the coffee appear stronger (because it turns the coffee darker). My advice to you avid coffee drinkers - don't buy coffee from Costa Rica - yuk! BTW: Starbucks buys their coffee beans from Boquete before they're roasted. It may be worth the price not to drink cow's blood!
On a side note: I'm going out of town again tonight for my nephew's 1st Birthday, so there will be a lull time in my blogging. See you all when I get back!

1 comments:

Erin said...

My first reaction at reading this was horror. I was recently given a bag of coffee purchased in Costa Rica and have been drinking it. Not just drinking it, but raving about how delicious it is. Not just raving, but wondering when someone is going to Costa Rica again to get me some more. So the dried cow's blood news presented me with a dilemma: do I stop drinking the coffee b/c of the blood, or do I keep drinking it because it's delicious? Then I remembered: I love steak, and I like it with some juice still in it. Not to mention all the crazy things I've eaten while traveling. None of them have killed me, or even made me sick. So, I've decided I don't care. I'm drinking the coffee. Good is good.