Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Pine Trees and Crosses


My dad and I were carpooling to work this morning and on the way I had to stop by Walgreens. When I got back to the car, my dad pointed out the crosses on the Pine Tree. He said every year around Easter the little things sticking up (I don't know what they're called) make crosses. So, I had to take a picture to show you all. The crosses aren't fully developed yet, but they're starting to form. So, closer to Easter look at the Pine Trees to see the crosses they make. God is so good, isn't He? I love the way He shows Himself through nature. ;)

3 comments:

Troy said...

I am not a botanist, but since I come from a long line of farmers and foresters, I can pretend to be knowledgeable on the topic of pine trees. I believe the cross structures are called microstrobili. Since I risk over-geekifying this comment if I continue, I'll just point you to my source for more information- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conifer_cone.

This is a great observation, Kelly! I love the fact that these cross structures are the cones, which are the source of new life for the trees. So also is Calvary's cross for us. God has left pictures and symbols of His plan of salvation throughout Creation. These are the signature of a Great Artist!

Me said...

Thanks for posting that Kelly! I had seen this in an e-mail, but never knew if it was really true (and always forgot to pay attention and see if I could find out for myself!).

Jessica said...

Thanks for the reminder!! I always forget to look for these too!! :)